Old March 14th 04, 04:46 PM
BRanger

"Sydtech" wrote in message
So far I'm not sure that I'm thrilled with the Zalman, and I'm wondering

if
I installed it poorly, or I just was expecting too much...

With the stock Intel heat sink and fan installed, at idle, I was getting
49-50 degrees celsius on the CPU.

With the Zalman hsf installed and the case on, at CPU idle, I'm getting
around 47degrees with the fan running at the full 2400rpm, and at 50 with
the fan at the lowest setting.

I "torture tested" the setup by running prime95 and ripping some random

CDs
with iTunes to max the CPU out. This pushed the CPU temp up to about 64
degrees (with the Zalman fan on max) and a scary 68 degrees (with the fan

on
the minimum setting). These numbers seem kind of high to me.

I am running a P4 2.6c at 3.25GHz and using the Zalman 7000-AlCu. I get 45C
on the CPU at full load with the Zalman fan on full. Sounds like you might
have an install issue. It's a loaded case with dual Raptor hard drives, a
200GB Maxtor HD, and a Radeon 9800 so there's a lot of stuff to generate
heat. The case is decently ventilated.

I did spread the Arctic Silver 3 all over the heat spreader very thin. It
was before they changed the install recommendations. More recently I build
an Athlon 64 3200+ and I used the Zalman 7000-Cu with Arctic Silver spread
via the new recommendation (dot in the middle). I don't break 45C there
under load either.