Old November 11th 05, 06:29 AM
Mark

Default Presario 2100 broken power connector

pab1953 wrote:
So I have the laptop open. The only piece I'm not sure about in the
disassembly is a small black lead going from the motherboard to
display or somewhere. Should this be disconnected? I can't see how.

As regards the power connector, there it sits black and wobbly -- and
very small and cramped. What do I do now? Can I solder it so it
doesn't wobble? Do I remove it (how?) and replace it?

If the connector itself is intact, it might just need to be resoldered
to the circuit board. However, if there is ANY damage or shortfall
whatsoever (loose center contact pin, cracked connector body, etc.) you
absolutely should replace it. It makes no sense to go through this much
grief and not make the very best repair possible. Soldering the
connector in place will require access to the underside of the board,
which generally means having to remove everything from the case in
order to extract the motherboard. The appropriate service literature
for your model should be downloaded and examined if at all available.
While not always perfect, it's a really big help. There appears to be
one for the 2100, depending on the specific model. See the
"Support" section for your model, select "Manuals" and look for
the Compaq "Maintenance and Service Guide". If I'm right, you can
just download--
http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c00246219.pdf

It CAN be done; good luck!