Old April 27th 20, 08:57 AM posted to alt.comp.os.windows-10,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Paul[_28_]

Default Why is this folder so slow?

Yousuf Khan wrote:

Some other background. When this particular backup is happening, it's
not the drives that are showing as busy, it's the CPU cores! 4 out of
the 8 cores on my FX-8300 are fluctuating between 50% to 100% busy,
while the other 4 are not that busy.

Yousuf Khan

I seem to remember at some time in the past, you offered
advice on putting an exception for an AV program,
so it does not scan that particular directory
(something in Thunderbird).

If your CPU cores are railed, I'd be tracing down the
PID of the offender.

One way to do it on a Pro SKU of OS, is

tasklist /svc # should not work on Home

and that will tell you what is inside a SVCHOST. You
can also do that with Process Explorer from Sysinternals,
running concurrently with Task Manager, and flip over
to Process Explorer to see what is in a busy PID in
Task Manager. If you elevate Process Explorer using
"Run as Administrator", it can even take a stack snapshot
of a SVCHOST, and you can get additional information.

For example, I have a SVCHOST with 15 things in it,
and one is wuauserv. If a Windows Update scan is running,
that SVCHOST lights up -- but then you have to guess
that's the guilty service, as the rest of the services
aren't normally a problem.

When Macrium is running, CPU effort goes into two things:

1) Running a checksum to stamp the .mrimg when finished.
This detects corruption later (like when restoring perhaps).

2) Compression. If the lightweight compressor is turned on,
that will use a core. I don't think Macrium uses multi-core
for its compressor.

If you were seeing more than that, I'd be looking at
MsMpEng as a culprit, as it could cause quite a penalty
if every small file involved a scan by the Windows Defender.

When I ran hashdeep64 in Windows 10, I think the calc
ran 8x slower than normal, to give some idea what a
penalty Windows Defender causes on reads.

Paul