Old April 27th 20, 05:01 AM posted to alt.comp.os.windows-10,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Boris[_7_]

Default Why is this folder so slow?

VanguardLH wrote in :

Yousuf Khan wrote:

I have a folder on one of my SSD drives that takes 8 to 10 hours to
back up. It is only about 1.4 GB, but it is allocated 2.4 GB of space
altogether, and there are 580,000 files here. Indicates that per file
it's using up a little bit over half of a cluster on average. File
system is NTFS.

Meanwhile, this same drive can backup the remainder of the drive in
under 2 hours, and the remainder of the drive is 390 GB! Is NTFS this
inefficient for small files like this?

Using WHAT backup software? Doing a file-based or image-based backup?

Is it a direct access to the folder, or are you using a redirection,
like a junction (reparse point)? Does that folder itself have any
redirections which could run the backup program into a loop if it
doesn't specifically ignore those?

That may be it. I remember reading about junctions causing havoc if they
were in a backup scheme (I think in a folder/file backup). Amazingly,
there was some helpful information (for me, at the time) on a Microsoft
forum, about identifying junctions, found in paragraph two of darrenc1's
answer.

To the OP:

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...rum/windows_7-
performance/what-is-a-reparse-point-can-anyone-reveal-the/17b9b457-6c8a-
4e83-a445-e603011a6b95

or

https://tinyurl.com/y8hssmg6