Old April 12th 07, 08:36 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Christian Franke

Default S.M.A.R.T. Software Monitoring Problem

Arno Wagner wrote:
Previously Arno Wagner wrote:
Previously Nick wrote:
On Apr 9, 8:37 am, Arno Wagner wrote:
The smartmontools. Ported over from Linux. Commandline,
which means you can script stuff. And free.

I tried those.. and they apparently also did not detect my HDDs or
SMART info.

Which error message does smartctl print?

Then it is an OS issue. If the OS can access the disk, then the
smartmontools can report the status.

No, OS uses sector level read/write access to logical drive.
But SMART support requires ATA pass through access to physical drive.

Hmm. Come to think of it, maybe the OS remaps these disks as
SCSI disks? ...

Yes, this is the case for Windows drivers of RAID capable controllers.
SCSI SMART and ATA SMART are not compatible.

... Then there is no interface functionality to
query SMART.

Not necessarily, ATA SMART ioctls are passed down to SCSI miniport.
But I don't know any driver (except 3ware) implementing this.

http://smartmontools.sourceforge.net/#FAQ-RAID
http://smartmontools.sourceforge.net...in-ata-as-scsi

Christian