Old December 18th 18, 06:02 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Char Jackson

Default New system build - reboot loop when attempting to boot from SATA HDD

On Mon, 17 Dec 2018 23:17:48 -0600, VanguardLH wrote:

Char Jackson wrote:

Hmm, I started wondering about UEFI which, I believe, is used by your
mobo. I haven't delved into that.

When you boot using the USB thumb drive, I'm not sure how UEFI is
involved. When booting from a SSD or HDD, UEFI is involved. The whole
UEFI scheme was Microsoft wanting to lockdown an installation of their
Windows product. It seems to irritate Linux users because of the
SecureBoot protection.

Can you find a SecureBoot option in the BIOS and see what happens when
you disable it?

https://www.avira.com/en/support-for...tail/kbid/1811
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/win...ng-secure-boot

You'd think they have the firmware issue some bitch message that your OS
wasn't properly signed but knowing Microsoft they might've convinced the
BIOS makers to just immediately shutdown without a clue to the user.

The SecureBoot option comes disabled by default. I did go looking for it
to make sure, but I didn't need to disable it.

Charlie suggested checking the vcore voltage, which might have been too
low. I bumped it from 0.971v to 1.1v and I'm testing it now. The system
booted from the HDD for the first time and has been running now for
about 45 minutes. I'm optimistic.