Old August 7th 04, 10:06 AM
P4_Squisher

KZoo check out www.alienware.com
They have what you looking for, maybe for near twice the money, your
offering. However your yet to decide what your going to do with the speed
may as well visit them.

I have built 3 fast computers. 1 Intel setup and 2 AMD setups . The most
helpful online store i found was atacom.com.

I prefer AMD. Now running the Abit AV8 /AMD 939 pin 64 bit Athlon 5300
K8T800 Pro w/ stock retail box, 2247 mhz not oc'd fan/ 1 gig Corsair Dual
channel DDR Nvidia FX 5200 Creative SB Audigy 2ZS /Dual 80 gig Seagate
satas running even & odd.
You can't take it with you, so spend it.

"kalamazoo" wrote in message
om...
Rohan Beckles wrote in message

Hello --

Have a look at the ASUS PC-DL Deluxe. It looks like it has every thing

you want
in a workstation board, but the PCI slots are 32-bit/33MHz. Unless you

are
building a monster file server, I doubt the PCI slots will be an issue.

Best,

Rohan Beckles

Thanks for your suggestion Rohan.

I've been looking at the following motherboards:
ASUS PCH-DL
ASUS PC-DL
ASUS PC-DL Deluxe (the one you mentioned)
ASUS PP=DLW

They all look pretty good, but the one you mentioned (ASUS PC-DL
Deluxe) seems to be the best. I just can't decide/figure out whether I
would be better off with a dual xeon, dual Opteron (both running a 533
FSB and DDR333 Ram with 2 CPUs) or a single P4 with an 800FSB and
DDR400 Ram. (In any case I would get CPUs running in the 3GHz range.)
It seems the more I look into this the harder it is to decide... What
I want is the fastest machine I can buy that will work for Windows 98
-- Windows 2000 (mainly) -- Windows XP and that is absurdly fast
(but less than about $3500). Its for games (but I understand only some
games will make use of the 2 CPUs), but its also for a rather large
mySQL database that holds a lot of stock data. The tables and queries
are optimized, so the only way to increase performance (its already
pretty fast) is by getting a machine that smokes... (I would swap the
drives, depending on what I want to do with it - games / database
stuff / normal email and word processing.)