Old July 3rd 04, 01:20 PM
kalamazoo

Rohan Beckles wrote in message ...
Hello --

Have a look at the ASUS PC-DL Deluxe. It looks like it has every thing you want
in a workstation board, but the PCI slots are 32-bit/33MHz. Unless you are
building a monster file server, I doubt the PCI slots will be an issue.

Best,

Rohan Beckles

Thanks for your suggestion Rohan.

I've been looking at the following motherboards:
ASUS PCH-DL
ASUS PC-DL
ASUS PC-DL Deluxe (the one you mentioned)
ASUS PP=DLW

They all look pretty good, but the one you mentioned (ASUS PC-DL
Deluxe) seems to be the best. I just can't decide/figure out whether I
would be better off with a dual xeon, dual Opteron (both running a 533
FSB and DDR333 Ram with 2 CPUs) or a single P4 with an 800FSB and
DDR400 Ram. (In any case I would get CPUs running in the 3GHz range.)
It seems the more I look into this the harder it is to decide... What
I want is the fastest machine I can buy that will work for Windows 98
-- Windows 2000 (mainly) -- Windows XP and that is absurdly fast
(but less than about $3500). Its for games (but I understand only some
games will make use of the 2 CPUs), but its also for a rather large
mySQL database that holds a lot of stock data. The tables and queries
are optimized, so the only way to increase performance (its already
pretty fast) is by getting a machine that smokes... (I would swap the
drives, depending on what I want to do with it - games / database
stuff / normal email and word processing.)