Old December 17th 17, 01:06 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Rene Lamontagne

Default failures on boot

On 12/16/2017 3:45 PM, VanguardLH wrote:
John B. Smith wrote:

My aging 2008 home built is acting up again. I'm afraid it may be
headed for the morgue. It will stop with a 'C1' code during the boot
on the BIOS display. This is defined as:
Auto detect of dram size type & ECC
Auto detect of L2 cache (socket 7 or below

That is, it will run the BIOS to completion, 'FF', and start booting
before falling out with the C1 and an audible alarm.

I've taken to booting mem86 of a diskette and running it a while
before attempting Windows when the machine is cold. Once booted, mem86
usuallly runs forever without errors. I did see it drop out once but
didn't catch the code that time. Once booted, XP runs flawlessly. Once
warmed up, reboots on XP never fail.

The 'C1' is also the first code I see when I turn the machine on.

If I had space to work on one I'd start a new build but it would be
very difficult the way I've jammed myself into this apartment. Also
I'm way behind the curve on planning a build with all the new chips
and mbs since 2008. I built this one with a ton of advice off the Abit
web site and here.

Once warmed, it boots okay. When cold, it might fail on a memory error.
Well, likely the PSU is as old as when the box was originally built.
PSUs typically lose 5% load capacity per year. No idea how close you
loaded the PSU to the surge current from all loads when cold. You might
want to start monitoring voltages from the PSU, or replace it with a new
and much bigger capacity unit.

Don't know what C1 and FF codes would mean. Obviously you have a mobo
with a couple LED displays to show boot codes. Seems you'd have to know
the mobo maker and model (unidentified here) to see in their manual what
the codes mean. You're not getting any beep codes on cold power boot
(https://www.computerhope.com/beep.htm)?

He mentioned ABIT so I assume that is what the MB is.

Rene