Old March 1st 08, 01:47 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq,comp.sys.hp.hardware,comp.sys.laptops
- Bobb -

Default HP XP in boot loop - how to resolve using MSFT/HP cd's

Problem with HP Pavilion 6113 laptop. Need help from experienced "HP / XP
recovery person" please.
During scandisk it was powered off ( don't ask) and then won't boot. I
used utilities to save the data off the laptop's hard drive and now trying
to " Repair XP".
It goes to advanced startup menu - neither last good nor safe work. When
tried it STARTS to boot and echoes startup as far as MUP.SYS then about 5
seconds later restarts - back to HP startup logo - repeats loop: OK need
to repair XP.
But I think it MIGHT be the disk table that's bad - not necessarily XP
?? In any case ...
Where to start to get it to"Fix XP" without reinstalling all of XP/apps ??

With HP's recovery CD ?
If it's a disk issue on C: ( maybe bad sector) will doing a quickrestore
from D: help ?
Or need a Windows XP CD ? and choosing REPAIR ?
Also has the 3 DVD's from HP to completely install XP to a blank disk (
paid extra at hp.com)

HP website kinda vague on exact procedure/outcome.
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/d...name=c00608578
Often it says to go to" START - RUN - ... I can't boot it.
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314058
To "fix XP without doing a complete Restore/reinstall " ( to save current
data/apps), where to start ?
Thanks