Old August 21st 04, 04:22 AM
Paul Filion

Hi Ben,

To verify the printer and USB cable, I successfully installed the printer on
our Dell Laptop
but have not been successful on the Dell Dimension 4550.

I had the same problem a while back trying to install a HP LaserJet and gave
up and
installed it on another PC.

Seems I cannot install a USB printer on this Dimension for some reason. I
have installed
a USB scanner, memory card reader, digital camera with no issues.

Wondering if printers require more power from the USB port than other USB
devices.

When I plugin the printer Windows XP recognizes new hardware are USB printer
but
not that it is a EPSON Stylus R200 like the laptop did.

ben_myers_spam_me_not @ charter.net (Ben Myers) wrote in message
Some printer driver installs want you to connect up the printer first,
then run
the install. Others want you to install first, then hook up the printer.
Many
printer software installs for USB printers fail to work properly if their
rigid
pain-in-the-backside rules are not followed exactly.

Check USB cable connections at both ends.

Possibly try another USB cable?

Long USB cables sometimes do not work worth a darn. I had to replace a
50' USB
cable which my client wanted, connecting the printer instead to another
computer
with a much shorter cable. Then his USB printer began working like a real
printer.

That's about all I can suggest without any further symptoms which you need
provide, e.g. error messages, etc... Ben Myers

On Fri, 20 Aug 2004 19:08:16 -0700, "Paul Filion"
wrote:

So far I have never been able to install either a HP Laserjet or EPSON
Stylus
USB printer on our Dell Dimension 4500.

Anyone have any suggestions.

Thanks