Old August 12th 04, 11:02 AM
David Maynard

kony wrote:

On Thu, 12 Aug 2004 04:40:11 -0400, "Dave C."
wrote:

Your analogy is flawed. OCing a CPU, if being compared to a car, isn't

like

breaking the speed limit, it's like hotting it up. You know, big bore
exhaust, high compression heads, Nox (NO2) kit, increase bore/stroke,
turbocharging, balance the crankshaft/pistons/con rods. That sort of

thing.

No. OCing a CPU is like taking a STOCK car and never running the engine
BELOW redline.

Who said anything about running it THAT far at the borderline?
Sure if you're a masochist you can destroy anything, but it would
have to either be a goal or be done quite recklessly, just like
anything else.

It is more similar to a german shipping over a Corvette for
driving on the autobahn, then finding there is a governor
restricting it to 80MPH, so they alter the artifical limiter to
reach it's full potential.

You are doing something with the car that it was not
designed to do.

And yes, it will be fast, until the engine and all other
mechanical components give out on you. THAT is what OCing a CPU is,
exactly. -Dave

Grand theory, but where are those stacks of dead CPUs?
There MUST be stacks and stacks of 'em, because quite a few
people o'c and have CPU that've ran that way for years. How many
years should we wait to see if the CPU died? In a previous post
I mentioned an example of Celeron 300 o'c to 450... those are
about 8 years old now, do we need to get 10-20 years out of a
Celeron 300? Possibly on a space station that would be
important, but back on the mother planet that Celeron 300 is not
going to die before the motherboard, power supply, video card,
etc, to the extent that odds are very high the rest of the system
will be dead before CPU died, so it was abandoned due to no
platform to run it. Running a celeron @ 450 can't be argued as a
significant cause of motherboard or power supply failure since it
wasn't as much of power or heat problem as it's predecessors
running at stock speed on same platform(s).

Yes. My BP6, running dual 300As overclocked to 495, began life with NT4
server but is still going strong today as my 24/7 internet/LAN server
running Win2000.