Old July 24th 04, 10:31 PM
patrickp

On Sat, 24 Jul 2004 15:11:34 -0400, "Chuck"
wrote:

"Malam" wrote in message
.. .
I had a Pinnacle TV card and a Ti 4200 video card a few months ago and
was looking at upgrading just like you are. I eventually settled on
ATI AIW 9700 Pro. Its between the 9600 and the 9800 in video
performance but had the same tuner and video capture chip. The ATI
video capture chip is far superior to the ones on the separate TV
cards. You may want to target the 9600 or if you can find one , the
9700 Pro. The AIW is the top of the line and will cost you too much.

Thanks, Malam.

I see a lot of sales on eBay for all of the AIW line ( 9500-9800 Pro ). I
wasn't sure which one to target. I'll narrow down to the AIW 9700 Pro.
Thanks again.

Depending on what you want to do with the card, Chuck: if you don't
need the tuner, it can be worth looking for VIVO cards to save money.
They'll accept a video input and capture just as well as an AIW - but,
of course, you need an external tuner (eg cable/satellite box, VCR
etc).

If, like me, you've got a cable box which only outputs on one channel
anyway, there's no advantage to an AIW. One other advantage to VIVOs
is that they're not region specific: whereas AIWs will normally accept
either only NTSC input or only PAL and SECAM input, VIVOs will handle
the lot.

Depends on whether you need the tuner.

patrickp

- take five to email me