Old December 21st 07, 04:55 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware,alt.internet.wireless,comp.hardware,comp.sys.laptops,microsoft.public.windows.networking.wireless
Neil[_2_]

Default Wi-Fi Ranges

I don't understand. What do you mean??....

"CBFalconer" wrote in message
Neil wrote: *** and top-posted. Fixed ***
"Dr Zoidberg" wrote
"Neil" wrote in message

So, I was at the local sandwich shop last night, and I noticed
I was able to pick up a signal from a local T-Mobile hotspot,
which I have an account with. It was only one bar out of five.
But I was able to connect to it and surf the web without any
problems.

I then looked up the hotspots in the area, and I saw that the
closest one was a Fed-Ex/Kinkos about 2-3 blocks away.
Measuring it on the map, I estimate it to be at least 800 feet
from where I was.

Is that normal for wi-fi routers to have such a large range?
That seems a bit far to be picking up a wi-fi signal. The
router was a little uphill from me, though not a very steep
hill.

Doing testing with a couple of Cisco APs and high gain
omnidirectional aerials we've had them working over several
hundred meters , and even further with directional ones but
that's on open ground. In a built up environment it's unusal
to get anywhere near that.

It's possible there was another hot spot not shown on your
map

No, the chances of there being another hotspot are very slim,
as there's only a few types of business that have T-Mobile
(Starbucks, Kinkos, some hotels and airports -- that's about
it). This wasn't a random hotspot. It was a T-Mobile hotspot,
and there are only a discreet set of them.

As for open ground, though, the place where I was down the
street (to the south) and a little west of where the hotspot
was. In between (the northwest corner of the intersection
where I was at) was open. Thus, between me and the hotspot,
there were no buildings. I'm sure that was it.

irrelevant material. I fixed this one. See the following links:

http://www.caliburn.nl/topposting.html
http://cfaj.freeshell.org/google/ (taming google)
http://members.fortunecity.com/nnqweb/ (newusers)