Old June 26th 04, 03:48 PM
Jonathan

"Hank Arnold" wrote in message
t...
It's problem with the vendor who provided the adapter. They are

responsible
to provide a driver that assigns a COM port to the device, not Dell. You
wouldn't Dell to provide a printer driver for an OEM printer.....

Tom is right. Get back to the vendor who sold you the adapter. If they

don't
have a driver, then you will need to get a different adapter. We bought

one
several moths ago and it came with a driver disk.

Interesting, when I called Dell, they were very helpful (but were unable to
fix the problem), and at no point did they say this wasn't Dell's problem...

They recommended another solution, a PCMCIA Card with serial ports (he said
XP would recognize it as a COM port...)

Then again, I have a major account support agreement, and I think they
didn't want me to send the laptop back...

BTW, anyone who complains about Dell support needs to get the three-year
onsite warranty... You don't talk to India (when I called the support
number, the Indian girl I spoke to, said that she couldn't help me and
transferred me to a guy in Texas...)...

The difference between support was like night and day...

Jonathan