Old February 6th 06, 06:24 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips

Default No one got fired for using Intel?

David Kanter wrote:
You do realize that Opterons cannot address enough physical memory for
most of SGI's applications, right? 1TB limit currently. SGI systems
go upto 10TB+...I think the largest I read about was a 14TB system in
japan, but I'm not 100% sure.

1TB can be installed per processor (40-bit), but 256TB overall (48-bit)
is addressable virtually. So if you have 256 Opterons, each with 1TB of
memory attached to them, then you'll have reached your limit.

But I don't think even SGI's have 1TB of RAM per processor yet.

Yousuf Khan