Old October 25th 06, 07:24 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Citizen Bob

Default Corrupt NTFS filesystem

On Wed, 25 Oct 2006 07:47:37 +1000, "Rod Speed"
wrote:

They are getting confused by something. It isnt currently clear by what.

If I change the drive letter, it takes effect immediately for one of
the device drivers (the one with the label) but not the other. I have
to reboot to get it to take effect on the other one.

There is something going on with what Windows calls a "generic
device". I see it in the Install/Remove Hardware utility. Sometimes
when I add a partition in Disk Management, it attempts to assign the
next drive letter in the alphabetic sequence, but can't because "that
letter is already in use" or somesuch. But there is no such device to
be found. If I then remove the generic device with the Add/Remove
Hardware, it frees up the hidden letter and I can use it.

Also, in the Registry there is key that shows Mounted Devices. It has
an entry for the hidden drive letter that can't be used. If I clear
out that key, it becomes available.

Yes, but since you that showed up after the stupid raid
system was installed, its almost certainly been done by that.

When I built this machine and did an IPU to install Win2K, I ran it
very briefly without that RAID contraption. But I did not use the
defragger so I do not know if there were two device drivers per
partition. I then installed the RAID unit and kept it for about 6
months. The corrupt NTFS partition problem showed up immediately.

I contacted the Product Line Manager in Taiwan and she was eager to
work with me to find the source of the problem. But after a short
period she turned cold - I suspect she discovered that there was
something radically wrong with her product. I contacted my vendor and
he contacted the US importer and they decided that the product was not
functioning properly, so I was given a full cash refund. That's when I
began making clones for backup.

He is an independent residential mortgage broker and
every time he puts his phone to his ear, he makes money.

Just get him a cordless phone so he can still do that even when chained to the PC.

He has a cordless phone, and it is constantly in use.

--

"Nothing in the world can take the place of perseverence. Talent
will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent.