Old August 5th 05, 08:07 PM
John Dulak

Max:

lid wrote:

Hello,

A Matrox card of *exactly* the same model but then for pci? Otherwise
it proofs nothing.

No. The PCI card uses an MGA chipset the AGP a G450 Chipset.

Hm. There are several possibilities I think:
1. This videocard and some of the hardware are incompatible (hope it
is not your mobo). This can be found out by removing all peripherals
except hd and discdrive, trying for some time and if o.k. then adding
next peice of hardware, etc.
2. Some piece of software that interferes with... (same method as for
1.)
3. A faulty agp-slot: other videocard functions well in same slot?
4. If the little peice of litze (cable) that should be there on your
vidcard is not there anymore or is damaged, that can make the vidcard
unstable.

1. Have not gotten to that point yet since this system is my PRIMARY
system. I have several drives with different OS installed so it would
not be too bad but I've taken another track

2. This is what I was thinking. I disabled an "InCD" packet reading TSR
to no effect.

Removed everything else in the way of running software till a
Ctrl+Alt+Del task list showed only Explorer - SysTray - PowerDesk -
Rundll32. The Rundll32 bothered me so I "End Task" for it but the
problem still occurred.

I then ran MS System File Checker but it found nothing.

I ran the "98se shutdown patch" (Q239887) but the problem still occurs.

I did a basic "Clean Boot" by running MSConfig.exe and unchecking
everything on the "General" tab. FINALLY the system would shut down
normally but the video driver was plain old VGA 640 x 480. If I
re-enabled the processing of the WIN.INI file the problem returned. In
then compared the WIN.INI file of the problem system to a very similar
system that uses a Matrox G450 card with no problems. Other than some
entries having to do with the different mice and sound cards there was
nothing obvious to change.

At this point I did a "refresh" install of Win98se by running SETUP from
within windows. The problem still occurred.

I then booted from a DOS floppy and deleted EVERYTHING from the drive
except the directory where I have copied the Win98se CD. I even used
ATTRIB to be sure I removed all Hidden System and Read Only files. the
problem stil occurs.

I have tried "w9x_682.exe" and "w9w_683.exe". The only other driver
listed on the web sight is a 'Microsoft Certified' driver. No idea what
that means.

It means exactly wnat it says. M$ says the driver has been written
following their rules. This does *not* mean at all that a
non-certified driver will cause problems (from experience)

This may be my next step. It is unclear if the driver is written by
Matrox or Microsoft. If done by Microsoft I suspect it is as "plain
Vanilla" as possible.

My objection to the "refresh" install comes from having FUBARed

My English is not good enough to know what fubared means...:-)

"F.U.B.A.R" it is an acronym meaning "Fouled Up Beyond Recognition" :-).

http://whatis.techtarget.com/definit...748437,00.html

You are like me in this: I always want to know precisely what causes a
problem with my computer. Then I try to find out in a very methodical
way, but there should be a balance between labour and (quick) result,
don't you think?

Yes. I realize that neither I, nor any other one person, will ever
understand EVERYTHING about any operating system but I just HATE having
not a clew as to what is going on.

John

--
\\\\\//