Old July 29th 05, 11:12 PM

Hello,

On Thu, 28 Jul 2005 20:25:07 -0400, John Dulak
wrote:

Max:

wrote:

Hello John,

On Tue, 26 Jul 2005 11:59:57 -0400, John Dulak
wrote:

I am having a problem with a Matrox G450 16 Meg Dual Head Card running
on a Windows 98se system with a "VIA MVP3 AGP" chipset motherboard. The
card actually works quite well except when I try to shut down the PC.
Most often I get the following BSOD error message:

"A fatal exception 0E has occurred at 0028:c001409B in VXD VMM(01) +
0001309B"

Put this whole message into the search window of Google... and look
where it gets you.

Lost of genertic info about windows "fatal exception error"
troubleshooting but nothing specific.

That's a pity...

- The same card in a similar system works well and exits normally.

How 'similar' is that other system?

Processor is a bit faster, hdd a bit bigger and the MB uses an ALi
chipset.

Nor of those make that other mobo better, but differences in used
device drivers and other software *could* make the difference between
working well and not working well, hence my question.

Although there is 'vxd' in the sentence of the fatal error, I am not
sure that the error is caused by (the drivers of) your videocard.

You really should try another videocard (+driver) to look and see if
that makes a difference. You need proof that it is the vidcard causing
the problem.

Did you try the util from Matrox for cleaning videodriver before
installing a new one?

I used the Control Panel "Remove Program" applet to uninstall the old
driver whixh was for a Matrox PCI card that functioned flawlessly. I was
back to "plain Vanilla VGA when I installed the new card and driver.

Perhaps the patch for Windows98se not closing down in the right way
(from M$) will help

I have this somewhere and will give it a try but it will be a while
before I get to it.

All right... to me. ;-)

or a 'refresh install' of Windows98se.

Trying to avoid that. Have had problems in the past.

What kind of problems? If the 'normal' reparations fail (like what you
have allready done and then using Easycleaner (free), Adaware (free),
perhaps defragmenter) I do a 'refresh install' of windows. It often
helps. If that does not help you can only reformat and reinstall
everything. That's no joy.

So you own the Matrox G450 with 16MB mem, don't you. I seem to
remember that it was a rather awsome quest to find the right driver
for mine. Are you sure your driver is o.k. for that specific model?
Are you using Wgx_682.exe or what?

Max M.

John

Max M.