Old July 27th 05, 09:56 AM

Hello John,

On Tue, 26 Jul 2005 11:59:57 -0400, John Dulak
wrote:

I am having a problem with a Matrox G450 16 Meg Dual Head Card running
on a Windows 98se system with a "VIA MVP3 AGP" chipset motherboard. The
card actually works quite well except when I try to shut down the PC.
Most often I get the following BSOD error message:

"A fatal exception 0E has occurred at 0028:c001409B in VXD VMM(01) +
0001309B"

Put this whole message into the search window of Google... and look
where it gets you.

This is followed with the usual message about "Press any key to
terminate or Ctrl+Alt+Del to reboot". Ctrl+Alt+Del does nothing and any
key gets me a mostly black screen with narrow white stripes plus a
blinking cursor in the lower right quadrant. NOTHING but a reset or
power off will resolve this.

Sometimes I get just a black screen with a frozen mouse pointer.

Interestingly when Windows restarts Scandisk runs but never finds
anything. Then Windows finishes loading and runs normally.

What I've tried:

- Driver versions 6.82 and 6.83

- Video Card Bios upgrade to v2.0-36

- Upgraded DX4 to DX8 (DxDiag passes all video tests

- The same card in a similar system works well and exits normally.

How 'similar' is that other system?

- A different G450 card but with 32 Meg also has problems in this PC.

For what it is worth the MB BIOS has some settings that relate to Video;
Video BIOS Shadow = Enabled

As far as I know Disabled is better (option is for very old and slow
systems)
Video Bios Cacheable = Enabled

As far as I know Disabled is better (option is for very old and slow
systems)
AGP Aperture Size = 32M

Right
Assign IRG for Video VGA = Enabled

Right

Any and all help, suggestions or WAGs are appreciated.

John Dulak

Although there is 'vxd' in the sentence of the fatal error, I am not
sure that the error is caused by (the drivers of) your videocard.

Did you try the util from Matrox for cleaning videodriver before
installing a new one?

Perhaps the patch for Windows98se not closing down in the right way
(from M$) will help or a 'refresh install' of Windows98se.

Max M.