Old July 16th 19, 12:30 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Paul[_28_]

Default Ethernet Crossover or Patch Cable

tb wrote:
On 7/15/2019 at 2:59:53 PM John McGaw wrote:

On 7/15/2019 1:41 PM, tb wrote:
I am thinking about getting AT&T Fiber internet and do the setup
myself.

The fiberoptic wall plug is in the living room of my apartment. I
would like to keep my desktop PC and fiberoptic modem in my bedroom.
The PC has an Ethernet port but no Wi-Fi, so the connection modem/PC
would be via Ethernet cable, that's why I want to keep PC and modem
close to each other.

But I have to find a solution for the connection between the
fiberoptic plug in the living room and the modem in my bedroom.

The idea is to purchase a long Ethernet cable (about 50 ft) to do
that. Do I need to purchase a crossover or a patch Ethernet cable?

I see them both available online...

If you have a "fiberoptic wall plug" in one room and the "fiberoptic
modem" in another room in another room it seems as though you would
need a fiber between the two not a standard cable, crossed over not
not. Are you leaving something out? Most "fiber" providers include a
little magic box in the system that terminates their fiber and
converts the signals into standard Ethernet which then go to a
standard modem or modem/router/switch box. Do you have the box which
does the fiber-to-Ethernet conversion? If so, where is it located?

Well, I live in an apartment complex that was recently wired for fiber
internet. AT&T contractors did the wiring. The apartment management
sent out a memo saying that each unit is ready for fiberoptic internet.
All we need to do is to subscribe to one of AT&T's Fiber plans, hook up
the modem etc. that AT&T sends, go through the registration process,
and voilĂ*.

All I can tell you is that they installed a wall plug in the living
room of my apartment. It looks like one of those telephone wall plugs
for the good old landlines where you plug in the cable on one end and
the other end plugs in into the phone. Only this one would go from the
fiberoptic wall plug to the modem and it would be an Ethernet cable,
not a telephone cable.

Hope I have clarified the issue.

So you see an RJ45.

Is the connector labeled at all ?

A fiberoptic wall plug would take a fiber
optic cable, like an SC or an MT. You should
say it's an RJ45 (used for Ethernet with 8 pins,
abused for other defacto standard purposes).

I think if one end has MDI/MDIX capable equipment,
for 8 pin Ethernet, you don't have to worry about
cable type. It's older Ethernet equipment with
100BT and the resulting four wires, that is a problem.
As long as there is one piece of gear that is
GbE and has 8 pins, then it can probably use MDI
to select which pairs to talk to.

Paul