Old July 15th 19, 08:59 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
John McGaw

Default Ethernet Crossover or Patch Cable

On 7/15/2019 1:41 PM, tb wrote:
I am thinking about getting AT&T Fiber internet and do the setup myself.

The fiberoptic wall plug is in the living room of my apartment. I
would like to keep my desktop PC and fiberoptic modem in my bedroom.
The PC has an Ethernet port but no Wi-Fi, so the connection modem/PC
would be via Ethernet cable, that's why I want to keep PC and modem
close to each other.

But I have to find a solution for the connection between the fiberoptic
plug in the living room and the modem in my bedroom.

The idea is to purchase a long Ethernet cable (about 50 ft) to do that.
Do I need to purchase a crossover or a patch Ethernet cable?

I see them both available online...

If you have a "fiberoptic wall plug" in one room and the "fiberoptic modem"
in another room in another room it seems as though you would need a fiber
between the two not a standard cable, crossed over not not. Are you leaving
something out? Most "fiber" providers include a little magic box in the
system that terminates their fiber and converts the signals into standard
Ethernet which then go to a standard modem or modem/router/switch box. Do
you have the box which does the fiber-to-Ethernet conversion? If so, where
is it located?