Old June 10th 13, 12:24 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
hp

Default DDR2 1066 dies young leaves a pretty corpse

On 6/4/2013 2:14 AM, wrote:
On Sunday, June 2, 2013 8:02:01 PM UTC-7, wrote:

A few hours a week, I have been testing old PCs donated to charity
for re-use. Recently, started seeing stuff that would have been
high-end in its day. Now every system I looked at with 1066 MHz
DDR2 had at least one dead DIMM in it. Would this suggest that the
people who fit this overclocked the **** out of it?

Or overvolt it? DDR2 chips are rated for an absolute maximum of
2.3V, but I have a BioStar motherboard that allows setting the memory
voltage up to 2.875V. Also I've seen the rated memory voltage differ
as much as 0.15V from meter readings.

Are any of those memory modules Crucial Ballistix, especially the
older ones rated for 2.2V? Crucial told me that they failed when the
voltage was set too low, but no electrical engineer I spoke with
believed that.

It's quite possible the too low volts failure was actually a performance
failure?? And Not a 'Jim, its dead' failure?