Old June 4th 13, 07:14 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
[email protected]

Default DDR2 1066 dies young leaves a pretty corpse

On Sunday, June 2, 2013 8:02:01 PM UTC-7, wrote:

A few hours a week, I have been testing old PCs donated to charity
for re-use. Recently, started seeing stuff that would have been high-end
in its day. Now every system I looked at with 1066 MHz DDR2 had
at least one dead DIMM in it. Would this suggest that the people who
fit this overclocked the **** out of it?

Or overvolt it? DDR2 chips are rated for an absolute maximum of 2.3V,
but I have a BioStar motherboard that allows setting the memory voltage
up to 2.875V. Also I've seen the rated memory voltage differ as much as
0.15V from meter readings.

Are any of those memory modules Crucial Ballistix, especially the older
ones rated for 2.2V? Crucial told me that they failed when the voltage was
set too low, but no electrical engineer I spoke with believed that.