Old February 10th 19, 04:27 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Paul[_28_]

Default What is the potential value of a used 400W ATX power suppy.

Norm X wrote:

Thanks Paul, for the advice.

After I did the service work, the old PSU worked sufficiently well that I
kept it in that PC for a month, even though a new Coolmax 400W I-400 had
been delivered. IMHO mechanical problems are a precursor to electrical
problem. One day, after I powered PC down then up, I was informed of a RAM
problems. Not so I thought, it's brand new 8GB RAM that I tested for hours
and hours. It is definitely the PSU that failed its purpose to deliver good
clean power. I disassembled that PC, removed the old PSU and screwed in the
new Coolmax 400W I-400. Then I discovered the Coolmax did not provide all
the connectors I need. I didn't know that! I thought standards were forever?
Maybe I can get the problem solved tomorrow.

So now I have one nonfunctional Dynex 400W PSU with no value and one Coolmax
that has no value to me, but may have trade value at the shop. I like to
keep information continuity going, so now I will be distressed until that PC
is working.

The number of cables is partially proportional to the
capacity of the power supply.

Maybe a 1200W supply would have eight PCI Express video
card connectors on four cables.

Whereas a 350W supply, the designer of it might not put
any video card connectors on it. Because it isn't expected
the supply could power a discrete video card with one
or more external connectors.

There are SATA and Molex connectors. Usually a supply
needs at least one string with Molex on it, for backward
compatibility, plus at least one more with SATA 15 pin power
ones. Preferably two SATA chains, since in a typical build
there might be two clusters of storage devices.

Yes, before you buy, it's a good idea to sus out the
cabling.

There are no standards for documentation or for being
helpful to customers. You would have thought in a fully
connected world, it would be different.

Two dimensions of the ATX supply, on the faceplate side,
are standard. The "depth" dimension is a function of
capacity. Too long of a supply, the cable bundle can
"bump" into the back of the optical drive.

This site has some materials to help identifying
what's on each of your supplies.

http://www.playtool.com/pages/psucon...onnectors.html

Paul