Old June 22nd 03, 11:04 PM
John Smith

Default Advice on Buying a new Computer

As stupid as it sounds but a game coming out in November or later might need
a video card which does not even exist today!

That happened a few times with various versions of Quake. I remember
ordering one version along with a mate and we both had to order the latest
3DFX card with Open GL at the same time.

If the game is the reason you are upgrading I would wait until it comes out
personally. You may find many current cards do not work with it.

J.

"The Berzerker" wrote in message
ah, that's a pretty good point. I guess I should wait then...

You'll hear from me at christmas!

--

The Berzerker
By Nature's Hand, By Crafts, By Art, What Once Was One, Now Fly Apart!
"Stacey" wrote in message
The Berzerker wrote:

Hello. I've recently been pushed to buy a new system by the prospect

of
Half-life 2. I'm wondering if you guys can help me out...

Do you guys have any recommendations as to which on-line stores to buy
from? I'm looking for pretty fast components for the cheapest prices
around.

Wait. Since these games are 6 months away, much will change between now

and
then and what is "bleeding edge" now will be "discount" parts then.
Especially AMD chips as their prices drop like a rock about 3 months

after
they are released. I'll bet by Xmas you can buy a XP3000 for $50!

--

Stacey