Old October 31st 06, 12:04 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.cdr
Beemer

Default Is my DVD volume name stopping program installation?

ASAAR wrote:
On Sun, 29 Oct 2006 08:01:08 GMT, Beemer wrote:

$ dir e:\p
Volume in drive E is MX120
Volume Serial Number is 5C22-0AB5

Assar,

Can either or both be changed at the time of burning?

The volume name can be easily changed at any time. Use Windows
Explorer to examine the properties of the "drive", and type in what
you want. I think that there is an 11 character limit, some
characters aren't allowed, and it's safest to stick to upper case.
When I burn CDs and DVDs (using Creator 8 Classic), a popup property
window also allows me to replace the suggested volume label. With
multi-session disks, the volume label can be changed any time you
add another session, but don't do it just to change the label unless
you really need to, since adding those 11 characters will waste
about 13MB of CD disk space each time you do it, possibly a lot more
for DVDs, although I've never checked them.

I can't tell you how you'd change the volume serial number.
Normally the value is randomly assigned when a disk is formatted or
copied. I vaguely recall seeing a DOS utility program that could
assign volume serial numbers to disks, but that was years ago, and I
have no idea what the program was.

thanks,

Beemer