Old January 23rd 05, 12:48 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.amd.thunderbird

Default Bang for your Buck - Athlon 64 pin count

T wrote:

Is there a compelling reason (yet?) to go with the larger pin'd Socket
939 over the Socket 754 version of the Athlon 64s?

My current AMD chip is running 900MHz and doing ok for most things but
I'm getting together speck for the next one so I can give this one over
to server duties her at home.

I'll be wanting performance for A/V stuff like full screen video and of
course games from Id from time to time, does the FX version make it's
case in these arenas?

I'm TBerk
& I'm not the noob I've made myself out to be.

Thx in advance. ;])

Your main question involves the pin configurations. Socket 754 will be
be stopped by most manufacturers as socket 939 models come into play.
For future proofing and upgrades go with the socket 939.

The socket 939 uses a different memory configuration and this article is
very good at explaining this:

http://www.tomshardware.com/cpu/20040601/

regards