Old March 10th 05, 10:30 PM
Robert Redelmeier

YKhan wrote:
I doubt it's just a low-level overzealousness. For example,
one of the companies, NEC, was required to limit its purchases
of non-Intel processors based on region of the world it was
destined for: 90% within Japan, 70% to Europe, and 80% to rest
of the world. It's all listed in here. How can specifying
marketshares throughout the world be considered low-level,
unless Intel also has marketshares throughout the Solar System?

http://www.iser.osaka-u.ac.jp/semina...rai_Feb_17.pdf

If true, this is extremely severe, at least under US law.
Japanese law may differ. But the prez of Intel Japan either
knew, or ought ot have known. And possibly the Intel CEO.

I keep hearing "Intel isn't that stupid", what is that supposed
to mean? They aren't that stupid as to do these sort of things
at all, or that stupid as to _get caught_ doing these things? My
feeling is it's the latter.

I meant it as "not so stupid as to do these illegal things".
No-one is smart enough to evade detection forever.

-- Robert