Old January 10th 04, 09:15 PM
Mike Richter

Phred wrote:
In article , wrote:

Best bet: take a preferred blank at a preferred speed and measure
the error rate. If it's not acceptable (for me, that means zero
errors), try

Mike, what program would you recommend for this sort of diagnostic
check on media you've used or are planning to use?

I use CD Inspector for its display and some other reasons. I have not
used CDSpeed, though the reports have been very favorable. I also run
CD/DVD Diagnostic on DVDs.

Mind you, I'm also aware of a "treacle" problem with Windows
Explorer, which might be related -- after "accessing" a large number
of files (e.g. simply scrolling through directories) the process
slows to the equivalent of swimming through molasses. Sort of
reminiscent of the hold ups years ago with "garbage collection" in
BASIC systems.

[ This with a Dell Dimension 4100 P3 1.1GHz 128MB RAM, Windows ME. ]

I'm in Win 2K (never ran a 9x system: 3.1 - NT4 - 2K) and use Explorer
only when forced to do so. If Symantec had made some minor updates to
Central Point's File Manager, it would be my sole program for the
purpose. But because it has problems with 2 GB boundaries (yes, it's
that old) and LFNs, my primary file manager is Power Desk.

However, when stuck in Explorer, I have no leak problem; it may be the
OS or it may be the version of Explorer.

Mike
--

http://www.mrichter.com/