Old August 22nd 04, 12:33 AM
AJ

"J. Clarke" wrote in message ...
AJ wrote:

With the new kid on the block being PCI-express, is
AGP soon to be not found on motherboards and therefor
is it unwise to invest in an AGP card? Is PCI the best
choice still for 2D (most compatible)?

PCI is also soon not to be found on motherboards for certain values of soon.

Oh yeah, I forgot about that. But AGP is going away now whereas PCI has
a few more years it seems since the transitionary motherboards have both
PCIe and PCI slots, but no AGP slot.

Personally I'd like to have five minutes with a baseball bat and whatever
marketing genius came up with the idea of a new PCI standard that's not
backward-compatible with the old PCI standard.

I'm sure they evaluated the possibility, but decided it was better to move
forward than hang on to the past for good reasons. :/

In fact one could argue that the whole PCI Express thing is fraud, since the
new standard is not PCI in anything but name.

Well it probably is still a valid technology acronym. What does it stand for?

AJ