Old May 16th 07, 03:44 PM posted to comp.arch.storage
The Computer Dood

Default Hobbiest SAN suggestions

wrote:
I'd like to play around with a small inexpensive SAN at home. Storage
capacity or performance is not a concern something like a 4 or 5 year
old EMC, HP or IBM box. Any suggestions?

I was curious about SAN technology, and found a FREE Windows ISCSI HOST
software (
www.iscsicake.com). This is a full ISCSI HOST, allowing you
to set up a SAN STORAGE device on any computer. I have used it with
Windows 2000, Win XP and Windows 2003. It does not have all the bells
and whisltes, but for the cost, you can't go wrong.
Apparently, they use it in Chinese Internet Cafe's, giving people
temporary remote storage. I found it works fairly well. IT would be
best to segment your network (2 NETWORK CARDS, one for the ISCSI
Traffic), but it works oo my system.
Just my $0.02