Old July 4th 19, 10:50 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Flasherly[_2_]

Default sil3114 sata card

On Thu, 04 Jul 2019 19:51:33 +0000, T. Ment
wrote:

Now that I've fixed its broken solder joint, and I know the card works
in linux, I can verify the DOS flasher DOES NOT work. It gets far enough
to trash the chip's BIOS and then fails, replacing the card with a brick
that hangs the computer at boot.

I doubt it works with the Windows flasher either. Other sil3114 cards
may flash, but not this one. It has a r5403 BIOS soldered on. Take it or
leave it.

I found the Lattice archive for legacy SIL cards:

https://www.latticesemi.com/Support/ASSPSoftwareArchive

There you can find a 3512 BIOS, version 4.3.70. It seems unique, they
call it an "IDE" BIOS. I flashed it onto my 3114 card, and it boots.

It also works in DOS. I tried two later versions of the 3512 BIOS. Both
boot, but like the 3114 BIOS, fail on a file copy. So there's something
special about the 4.3.70 BIOS that lets it work in DOS.

They call it an "IDE" BIOS. Maybe that means IDE vs AHCI. Don't know.

Though it worked with a DOS file copy, I could not get it to boot from
the SATA drive, in the computer I had in mind for it. Maybe the BIOS is
too old and the hard drive is too big. Or maybe it's incompatible with
the motherboard BIOS. Don't know.

Looks like they gave up supporting DOS after that version. The archive
has no such BIOS for a 3114 card.

Another card I found (SD-SATA150R) I also have -- maybe I have four or
five SIL cards floating around here. As well a "SI_Buslink card" or
so-named and tossed in that directory, which seems as much a grab bag
driver situation for possibly all sorts of cards;- a rotten JPG I
made of my card looks to be a 2 header PATA setup, so there maybe two
PATA cards back in my stuff-it boxes.

Last is SI_RAID680 PATA card which has
SiI0680 BIOS Version 3.2.20. I really don't recall which board I
killed, except I likely wouldn't have kept it around after bricked,
only I do recall buying another, making both certainly then SATA cntr
boards.

(Goes without saying beyond 64/128G SSD only an updated controller
will see the likes of a quasi-256, 512G SSD 1T;- and they'll be seen
in DOS as well if at FAT32.)

Contents (SiI0680 BIOS)
I. Overview
II. Applicable Hardware/Software
III. Corrections

I. Overview - Contents
b3220.bin - add-in card BASE BIOS
r3220.bin - add-in card RAID BIOS
3220.bin - motherboard BIOS for OEM use in development. This
BIOS is
not intended for general end-users. End-users with a SiI0680A onboard
a motherboard, please contact the motherboard manufacturer for a BIOS
upgrade.
Note: The firmware download should take less than five minutes to
complete.
I. Corrections
1. Includes RAID volume support beyond 1TB.
2. Resolved a missing "Press F3 to enter RAID utility" message state.

Then there's this one, SI_RAID680 PATA card, nicely JPG'd and
decidedly a 2-port PATA header.

; This INF file installs the Silicon Image Serial ATA non-Raid driver
; for the SiI 3112 controller on systems running Windows 98/ME,
; Windows NT 4.0, Windows 2000, Windows XP, and Windows Server 2003.

(Can't offhand recall, but could be wrong, buying added USB ports in a
SIL flavor)

VIA Products Specification
VT6202 l Four Port USB 2.0 Host Controller
l Discrete PCI Adapter
VT6212 l Four Port USB 2.0 Host Controller
l Supports PCI / Cardbus Adapter
VT8235 l Six Port USB 2.0 Host Controller
l Integrated South Bridge

SD-SATA150R
optional software RAID function. The most popular version of 2-channel
Serial-ATA host controller add-on card, with optional RAID 0, 1
function.

* PCI Specification Revision 2.2 compliant
* Silicon Image SIL 3512 host controller chip
* Support 66 Mhz PCI with 32-bit data
* Compliant with programming interface for Bus Master IDE
Controller, Rev1.0
* Support programmable and EEPROM, FLASH & EPROM loadable PCI
class mode
* Integrated SATA Transport, Link Logic & PHY layer
* 48-bit sector addressing
* Virtual DMA
* Serial ATA Specification Revision 1.0 compliant
* Dual independent DMA channels with 256KB FIFO per Serial-ATA
channel, transfer rate up to 1.5Gb/s
* Internal Serial-ATA port x 2
*
* Supports 3TB HDDs
* Supports SSD.
* Support Boot to CD/DVD

1) SIL680 - Driver for SIL680 chipset (Without RAID Function)

DOS - DOS Driver

Win_Drv - For Windows 98, 98SE, ME, 2000, XP - Ver 1.0.0.12

------

(2) SIL680RAID - Driver for SIL680 chipset (With RAID Function)

DOS - DOS Driver

Win_Drv - For Windows 98, 98SE, ME, 2000, XP - Ver 1.0.1.7

Medley - RAID Utility for Windows 98, 98SE, ME, 2000, XP - Ver
1.2.0.5

(3) SIL3112 - Driver for SIL3112 chipset (Without RAID Function)

Linux - Tweaking Red Hat 9.0 Driver

Novell - Novell Driver - Ver 1.07J

Win_Drv - For Windows 98, 98SE, ME, 2000, XP - Ver 1.0.0.47

(4) SIL3112RAID - Driver for SIL3112 chipset (With RAID Function)