Old October 21st 04, 11:08 AM
steven67@

smayhew wrote:

I have an HP x1000 workstation (p4 1.7; i845 chipset) with 512mb RAM
already installed (2x128mb,1x256mb; all Micron branded HP, unbuffered
ECC PC133 CAS 3 single rank). I do 3D graphics and need more RAM.
The manual says it maxes out at 768mb but HP tech support says it has
been more recently tested at up to 1 gig per slot (max 3gig). So, I
bought three modules of 512 Micron Pc133 ECC Registered CAS 3 single
rank but yet my system won't boot up with it...just turns on and goes
to fan. The beeps indicate a problem with memory: either
incompatible, DOA, or ??? I also asked whether one can mix registered
and unbuffered, tech support says yes but can cause problems. Not
wanting problems, I bought all registered, figuring I'd just switch
out all modules. Tech support ends there. Can't help me. So I ask
here a few questions:

..

The 845 chipset does not support registered DIMMs. You need unbuffered,
ECC or non-ECC DIMMs.