Old September 4th 03, 09:15 AM
Marcin Dobrucki

Rob Turk wrote:
"Marcin Dobrucki" wrote in message

idunno wrote:

I think I'm missing something, but why do people use tape for backups?
It seems very costly and slow.

August 2003 issue of SysAdmin Magazine (www.sysadminmag.com) has an
article just for you. "Tapes: A Modern History, Trends", by Henry
Newman, p. 43

This article is so full of semi-technical nonsense that it ain't funny
anymore. I agree with the overall conclusion (tape is here to stay) but this
guy has definitely not been doing his homework on helical scan recording.
This stuff is directly copied out of 10-year old Quantum DLT sales pitches.
Yuck...

I'll take your word for it since I don't know much about the stuff,
but I thought the article pointed out a few good things about the
original question, i.e. what's great about tape. And like you, I agree
with the conclusion, I can't see it go away anytime soon.

Out of curiosity, can you point me at a good reference about the
recording technologies? I need to brush up on this subject.

/Marcin