Old April 13th 04, 12:28 AM

Anyone?

wrote:
Hi. Is there a reason why I cannot have multiple printer drivers set up
at the same time? My father's old Toshiba laptop runs Windows 98 SE and
has various printer drivers installed. He has an Epson 785EPX, NEC
SuperScript 870, HP DeskJet 450 mobile printer, and many others that I
cannot remember right now.

Both NEC and HP printers use LPT1/parallel port. Epson printer uses
USB port through an USB hub. I don't know about the other printers.

NEC printer didn't have any problems before installing HP's printer
driver and rebooting. HP printer worked. Then, we switched printer to
NEC as default. The printer doesn't print and we get an error about
communication. The first thing came to my mind is the printer driver
from HP. So I uninstalled it, rebooted, and tried NEC. It didn't work
until I cancelled its queued print outs request. Then, the print outs
worked.

Is it normal to have this problems with multiple printer drivers due
to conflicts? Is there a way to fix this if it is indeed a problem? He
uses many brands and types of printers with USB and LPT1 at different
locations. I wonder what is in HP's driver that require a reboot for
installations and uninstallations.

Thank you in advance.

--
"When you can't fight on and drop to die; you're just a big tasty
feast for the crows, ants, buzzards and flies." --unknown
| |o o| | E-mail: NT or
\ _ / Remove ANT if replying by e-mail from a newsgroup/mailing
( ) list.