Old September 4th 03, 05:08 AM
Logan Shaw

On Wed, 03 Sep 2003 01:15:54 GMT, Darren Dunham
wrote:

I've never heard of this. Sun's st driver should have nothing to do
with this at all.

Right. I didn't mean to say that it had an actual connection to
the DLT firmware issue. I was just telling a story to illustrate
how sometimes people release software that really does do something
stupid. Even companies who you'd think/hope would know better.

Unfortunately, unlike most
standalone DLTs, the 8500s don't have LEDs that show the current density
settings on the tape.

I used an 8505 for a year or two (or was it an 8505XL?) before
I realize that, actually, it does have a visual indicator of
density. I can't remember the details, but I do recall
that one of the LEDs is a multicolor one -- amber means one
density, green means another. That is still not as helpful as
the whole array of LEDs that a DLT drive gives you, but it's
something.

- Logan