Old January 21st 06, 12:39 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell

Default Boy am I dumb

Joan Hansen wrote:

Joel wrote:

Joan Hansen wrote:

I have the XPS generation 5. I purchased a hard drive from Dell. I
connected it to what I thought was Drive 1, turned on the Sata drive
and just got "unknown Device". I either had the wrong hard drive or
I thought it was no good. Please understand the Dimension XPS
systems look very much different to any of the other systems I have.

Well I used the Dell talk to system to explain my problem. That took
a few minutes. They gave me XPS phone number and the numbers and
words to say and have my express code to punch in. I got a gentlemen
from India who spoke very clear English. In less then 10 minutes he
had got the drive up and formatted.

I never noticed there were 4 slots to put the blue cable in. I had
used the #2 slot, but open up Sata Slot #1.

I know I could have come to the news group and certainly got the
answers from the Dell experts, but I thought with all the complaints
about Dell's tech service I'd try them first.

I'm a happy camper :-)

By the way I also purchased another 1GB of memory. Got that in OK
but you have to use 20 pounds of pressure. I'm old and that wasn't
easy.

Glad I bought the XPS G5. Maybe if you buy the best you get the best.

Joan

Don't let that bother you, I have built many systems, but when I
received my E510 I looked inside and it hit me. All the cables were
just long enough to reach there component. I had to buy extension
cables to install my media reader/floppy. I sat there for 40 minutes
just looking like a deer in headlights. Also I want to put another
SATA drive in and found the power cable is set up to just reach
another drive, I just hope the next drive is not a millimeter off or I
am stuck.

I know just how you feel. Mine was an easier fix but if I installed
another hard drive I don't know where the power cable is. I only see
one. The blue SATA cables would be long enough the reach the outlet.

I got my network back. :-) Yippee