Old January 20th 06, 08:13 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell

Default Boy am I dumb

Joan,

Did you enable it in the BIOS? Have you partitioned it and formatted it?

"Joan Hansen" wrote in message
I have the XPS generation 5. I purchased a hard drive from Dell. I
connected it to what I thought was Drive 1, turned on the Sata drive and
just got "unknown Device". I either had the wrong hard drive or I thought
it was no good. Please understand the Dimension XPS systems look very much
different to any of the other systems I have.

Well I used the Dell talk to system to explain my problem. That took a
few minutes. They gave me XPS phone number and the numbers and words to
say and have my express code to punch in. I got a gentlemen from India
who spoke very clear English. In less then 10 minutes he had got the
drive up and formatted.

I never noticed there were 4 slots to put the blue cable in. I had used
the #2 slot, but open up Sata Slot #1.

I know I could have come to the news group and certainly got the answers
from the Dell experts, but I thought with all the complaints about Dell's
tech service I'd try them first.

I'm a happy camper :-)

By the way I also purchased another 1GB of memory. Got that in OK but you
have to use 20 pounds of pressure. I'm old and that wasn't easy.

Glad I bought the XPS G5. Maybe if you buy the best you get the best.

Joan