Old March 29th 18, 09:51 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Lynn McGuire[_3_]

Default In celebration of World Backup Day, March 31

On 3/29/2018 2:06 PM, Mark Perkins wrote:
On Thu, 29 Mar 2018 12:54:08 -0500, Lynn McGuire
wrote:

In celebration of World Backup Day, March 31, I will be changing our
next to last 4 TB internal backup hard drive for a 8 TB hard drive
stripped from an external USB drive.

https://www.backblaze.com/blog/world...-up-the-world/

I ordered another WD 8 TB external USB drive from Big River yesterday to
replace the last 4 TB internal drive. I will probably get to that in a
month or so. Surely by the end of the year.

https://www.amazon.com/Book-Desktop-...dp/B01LQQHLGC/

What do you do with the drives that you take out of service?

At the moment, I've got 10 2TB drives in a cabinet drawer that I'm not
sure what to do with, and I have a 15-drive mix of 2TB and 4TB drives in
service that, if I upgraded to 8TB models, I could drastically reduce
the drive count. Then I'd have even more pulled-from-service drives that
I wouldn't know what to do with. All 15 of the 2TB drives were purchased
in 2009 when the price dropped under $70, while the 4TB units were more
recently purchased in 2014.

I either stick them in a drawer or repurpose them in a very limited
manner. When the drawer gets too full, I take my hammer and screwdriver
and punch a hole through the platters.

Lynn