Old March 1st 16, 07:11 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
adule

Default SATA III work on SATA Dell XPS 420?

On 2/29/2016 8:14 PM, Ellen Hall wrote:
Hello,

Shopping for a hard drive. Are the SATA IIIs backward compatible straight
across? One was advertised with a bonus cable. Will my original work? (New
in 2006!)

Thanks for any thoughts.

Yes, you can do this. I just installed a Seagate ST1000DM003 (1TB, Sata
III) in my XPS420 to replace my 2nd drive, a Western Digital 500GB,
that's been failing chkdsk for some time. No problems.

You'll probably have to use a right-angle cable (like the one on your
existing drive installation) to clear the side cover.

Frank