Old September 24th 11, 08:52 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Ian D[_3_]

Default out of range - can't get in to safe mode

"123Jim" wrote in message
On 24/09/2011 07:41, Grinder wrote:
On 9/23/2011 11:42 PM, 123Jim wrote:
Windows 7 home premium 32 bit
Display adapter: ATI Radeon HD 4550

I've connected my usual CRT monitor in order to fix a few problems on
this computer but I can't access safe mode as I get the message

'Out of range - H: 75.0K V: 59.9'

75.0K is flashing in red
59.9 is blue.

This computer would normally be connected to a large LCD screen.

It seems like the graphics adapter is refusing to run in the correct
mode to run safe mode with this monitor .. It has the most up to date
drivers.

I've fixed most of the problems on this computer but I just want to get
into safe mode to run system restore (it didn't work in normal mode)

any ideas?

F8 for the boot menu, and start up in VGA mode. From there, you should
be able to set a video mode that works with your monitor.

Unfortunately there does not appear to be a VGA mode in the boot options
through F8 in windows 7 ..

F8 options in Vista (and windows 7)
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/w...ding-safe-mode

Repair your computer
Safe mode
Safe mode with networking
Safe mode with command prompt
Enable boot logging
Enable low resolution video (640 × 480)
Last Known Good Configuration (advanced)
Directory services restore mode
Debugging mode
Disable automatic restart on system failure
Disable Driver Signature Enforcement
Start Windows normally

VGA mode = 640 x 480. Try that option.