Old January 29th 05, 07:50 PM
GSV Three Minds in a Can

Bitstring , from the wonderful person
Maria Ripanykhazova said
I have been mixing and matching chips as I suppose everyone does (making
sure that they are all, e.g. 100 mhz chips) and have suddenly started to get
a supposedly important error message telling me that the SPD is missing or
inconclusive on some of them

I could probably tell by elimination which ones are giving the error message
although at the moment it looks as if all of them are and some will let me
go into windows, some wont

Is there any test I can run to tell me if a chip will work OK even with this
error message and what is wrong with others or what is wrong with them in
this particular system?

I have tried memtest but it runs interminably and SEEMS to end up just
telling me if a chip is bad, which I suspect none of these are.

Memtest is the best thing for testing memory. however if the SPD is
wrong/broken then the BIOS may be selecting the wrong memory speed
parameters (of which '100 Mhz' is probably the least interesting number)
= you'd have to go into the BIOS startup screen and manually set the
memory parameters .. at which point knowing what the chips are actually
good for is sort of useful.

--
GSV Three Minds in a Can