Old December 31st 04, 03:08 PM
Crimson Liar

"Skeleton Man" wrote in message
Hi,

I'm planning a move from Australia to Canada which is like a 26 hour
flight and
at least 3 different planes.. I'm taking my PC with me (minus the
monitor -
gonna buy LCD over there), and just wondering the best approach to
carrying
hdds, backups, etc..

I was thinking remove all the drives from the case as they're screwless
and only
clip in.. then putting the hard drives (80GB WD and 200GB WD) in static
bags
inside plastic cases that they normally come in.. and wrapping the
optical
drives (Pioneer DVD-RW and Aopen CD-RW) in bubble wrap (after backup to
DVD-R of
course)

Next I plan on putting all the drives in my suitcase, and the DVD backups
in my
carry on luggage.. what I'm worried about is shock to the drives from all
the
movement during handling and in-flight, and also the effects of x-ray
scanners
on hard drives.. (apparently the biggest risk is from the magnets in the
motors
driving the conveyor)

The case with mainboard and cpu (s478 celeron w/ retail hsf, no add-in
cards)
will be placed back in it's original cardboard box complete with styrafoam
blocks.. I was thinking it would be advisable to remove the cpu and
heatsink,
however I used the thermal pad that came with it and I don't fancy
scraping muck
off and re-applying..

Appologies for the long post.. any suggestions/comments are welcomed..

Regards,
Chris

You pretty much have it covered, but the CPU heatsink has to come off
(though the CPU itself should be secure enough in place).

Crimson Liat