Old January 15th 04, 04:34 PM
SleeperMan

typed:

On Thu, 15 Jan 2004 11:08:39 +0800, "David Mittnacht"
wrote:

I'm thinking of getting a DVD writer, mostly because I can backup
lots more data on one disc. But I'm curious, is there any
information on which medium is more reliable for long-term storage?

Regards,

Dave

DVD-RAM 100 year life span, also has errors corection and used by
many firms as a backup media..

Yeah right. Like they used to say for CDR's - blue and green are to last
10-20 years, silver 50 years and gold 100 and more years...i can send you a
couple of gold CDR's which are dead after a couple of years, always stored
in dark dry place in original housing, almost never used.
A lot of bull**** for some people to believe - not me, mate!

You have plastic, like DVD R, you have dye, like DVD R and you have
reflecting layer, like in DVD R, so it's fragile as DVD R. Period.