Old January 15th 04, 04:39 AM
Dan G

No optical media is 100% reliable for "long tem storage". the jury is still
out on DVD, but I strongly suspect that in a year or 2 we'll start seeing
lots of reports from people who have seen discs fail in storage. Just like
CDR's if they are burned poorly, or are of poor quality, they will not last.
Add to that the fact that the margin for error on a DVD is much smaller than
CDR, and you have a picture that is not too hopeful.
As always, if your data is critical, make multiple copies and always have a
"plan B".

"David Mittnacht" wrote in message
I'm thinking of getting a DVD writer, mostly because I can backup lots

more
data on one disc. But I'm curious, is there any information on which

medium
is more reliable for long-term storage?

Regards,

Dave