Old June 30th 03, 09:12 PM
Patch

"jack" wrote in message
"Patch" wrote in message
:
: "spodosaurus" wrote in message
: ...
: Patch wrote:
: I've got an old motherboard from Epox & I was going to add a USB
adapter
: the board, but it has a weird looking pin arrangement. My adapter
has a
: 5
: pin plug on the end, but the mobo has a double row of 8 pins. How in
the
: heck do I get this thing to work? Is there an adapter with an 8 pin
: plug?
:
:
:
: What you're describing is not a USB adapter, it's a pair of usb ports
: that you're trying to plug in. BIG difference. A USB adapter is a
PCI
: card that you add to your system to provide USB functionality or get
: better USB ports (a USB 2.0 card instead of USB 1.1 which may be on
the
: motherboard).
:
: --
:
: Well, on the box it came in it says "USB Port Adapter" I'm not going to
buy
: a new Mobo just to get a USB 2.0. Getting back to my question, do you
have
: an answer?
:
I retired that exact same board about a year ago. I've still got both the
board and the users manual sitting right here in front of me. That 16-pin
connector (called CN1 in the manual) was Epox's idea of a proprietary
connection to the motherboard. The way this worked was that you had to
order a special cable from your mobo supplier (Epox designed and
manufactured, of course) which was 16-pin on one end and USB on the other.
Then you would just pull out one of the slot blanks and drop the Epox slot
"blank" in, and you would have one (or possibly two, I don't remember) USB
1.0 connections.

From what I heard Epox's implementation of USB never worked correctly on
this board, and I have never seen the special cable to connect to the CN1
header. Your best bet would be to just buy a PCI USB 2.0 card and drop it
in an empty slot, or better one of the better cards that offer both USB 2
and 1394 (Firewire). Short of that, you're looking at a new mobo purchase
if you want **functioning** USB. Good luck, dude.

J.

I've tried a PCI USB 2.0 card, but this Mobo has USB ver 1.0 & the card

won't work. Thanks for the response.