Old July 9th 18, 11:40 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
mike

Default Can I make my power supply fan turn faster?

On 7/9/2018 9:41 AM, lid wrote:
The fan is making noise. I can stop it with a pencil. I sprayed a
jet of wd 40. It is a little more quiet. I think if I could get it
spinning faster and give it one more burst, it might hit the spot.

Don't use WD40.
I use thick gun oil "hoppes" I think.
I put it in an insulin syringe with a tiny needle
so it goes where I want.

Problem with a fan is that you can only get at one
end of the bearing. I've actually drilled a tiny
hole in the blade hub at the shaft so I could
inject oil into the other end, but that's another
story.

Typically, there's access to the shaft/bearing
under the sticker on the back side of the fan.

With the insulin syringe, I can poke a hole in
the label and inject oil.
Depending on the mounting system, you may be
able to see the label thru the grille
on the back end of the PS. If not, I drill
a hole in the metal to allow access.

You're gonna need to inject oil periodically,
so might as well make it as easy as possible.

Are we having fun yet?