Old October 26th 05, 03:23 AM
Scott

Default Customer Service

Postman delivers wrote:

Joan F (MI)wrote:

Have previously related my recent experiences with bad repair
service.
Here's another chapter. Yesterday (10/17) I received two emails from
Gateway, one telling me they had received my laptop--this actually occurred
on 10/6-- and another telling me they had shipped it back--I had received it
10/14. Have yet to pack it up and send it back for another try. In the
interim I bought a refurbished Toshiba from Costco.

Yeah, another Gateway story. I wonder if there is 1 satasfied Gateway
customer out there.

I know a lot of people that have bought them. But no one who bought
them twice. I'm hearing that more and more about Dell as well.

I will never purchase a dell, nor recommend again while I can breathe.

I Had several Dell problem this week most exciting was hard drive dies
5 days beyond one year anniversary. I ended up installing a 80 gig
from frys electronics $20 after two rebates, and I installed win2k that
was not being used, from clients large size doorstop - because Dell
wanted $100 plus for misplaced recovery disks...

Yes, inexpensive dimension 2400, but still $100 plus shipping for
recovery disks, yea right...

Was not able to activate sound card, so a $14 Korean replacement has
that situation resolved. Apparently you need the Dell disks for
drivers that are modified for Dell... To make it work.

Every Gateway I have touched has worked well, totally different from
Dells could care less policy. Gateway's support not verbally better
but looking up the original computer shipping configuration is worth
its weight in gold...

Very different styles of on-line support, Dell can keep their stuff,
and place it on shelves where the sun will never shine. My 5 cent
opinion.

JR the postman

JR,

Yes, we always assume the grass is always greener on the other side. While
Gateway support has slipped in recent years, their hardware hasn't. I have
a GW desktop and two GW laptops in my home office that are 1-3 years old. None
have ever required a call to tech support. They continue to work great. Plus,
my original GW desktop, a P5-90, is now in it's 10th year, and it's still
running (ala Win95a). Plus, I have several 5-6 year old GW corporate desktops
(E-3200 and E-3400) that I bought thru ebay, and I've had no problems upgrading
the hardware. That says something about quality.

Scott