Old June 13th 18, 02:21 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Paul[_28_]

Default 2T SSD SATA - $250

Flasherly wrote:

I'd personally question if I'd even want to classify the stuff in a
storage capacity.

It's because of "wear leveling", that the number of write
cycles on each cell is approximately the same at end of life.

The drive keeps track of how many writes have happened, in
order to spread out the wear.

The method used on USB flash sticks, is obviously inferior
to the method used on SSD drives. (I had two USB TLC sticks
die after only one year of very light usage.)

I think the methods might have names such as "static wear leveling"
and "dynamic wear leveling".

Paul